Want to get an espresso maker but don’t have enough space? Nevermind, we have brought you a list of top 8 best portable espresso makers which have the lightest weight and a compact design yet can compete with top end espresso machines with their espresso making skills.
Moreover, they can brew your favourite cappuccino or latte, too.
With the help of this article you can choose the best portable espresso maker for you while travelling or a small family picnic or simply for a small kitchen space.
Espresso is an Italian drink which has gained popularity for its high caffeine content and a mesmerizing taste. You can enjoy the same cafÃ© styled coffee at your home itself and that too within minutes.
In this article we have featured the top 8 best portable espresso machines of 2022 after testing them for their coffee quality, build quality and many other factors so do read this article till last.
At a Glance:
- 8 Best Portable Espresso Makers
- 1. STARESSO Portable Espresso Machine
- 2. Flair Espresso Maker-unique portable espresso maker
- 3. Wacaco Minipresso GR-best travel espresso maker
- 4. Wacaco Minipresso NS
- 5. CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker
- 6. Wacaco Nanopresso Portable Espresso Maker
- 7. Nespresso Pixie-budget espresso machine for home
- 8. Nespresso Inissia-Nespresso portable coffee machine
- Frequently Asked Questions
8 Best Portable Espresso Makers
1. STARESSO Portable Espresso MachineBest Pick
Why do we love it?
- This portable espresso maker can fit anywhere in your backpack while you are on a trip or travelling
- Moreover, you can exert up to 15-20 bars of pressure on the espresso machine manually during the extraction of espresso
- Also, it’s cheap and compatible with coffee grounds as well as Nespresso coffee capsules
Love extracting your espresso shots manually during a trip? The Staresso portable espresso maker will help out during your coffee cravings.
At once it can accommodate 80 ml water and o.53 oz of coffee grounds so you can have a single espresso shot anywhere on the earth. Other than that, this portable espresso maker is compatible with Nespresso coffee capsules as well as grounded coffee.
Moreover, you can use the espresso maker up to 1500 cups with the same pressure and consistency. You can apply up to 15-20 bars of pressure on the espresso maker depending on your strength.
Also, it’s much more durable than it seems, it can handle a sizeable amount of pressure without breaking. However, do not try it.
- Does not require electricityÂ
- Compact designÂ
- Powerful espresso extractionÂ
- Pumping is hardÂ
- Requires hot waterÂ
The Staresso is our first choice for the best portable espresso machine. It has a well built and sturdy body so you can store it anywhere. Moreover, it’s compact, obviously that’s why it’s in the list.
Other than that, you can enjoy your espresso shot anywhere and with no electric supply. However, you will require a lot of manual power and hot water for brewing coffee, as it does not include a boiler.
2. Flair Espresso Maker-unique portable espresso makerStaff Pick
Why do we love it?
- You can brew a premium quality espresso shot of 40 ml easily with this lever espresso machine
- The durable and sturdy construction is made of cast aluminum and stainless steel for a long-lasting life
- Also, the unique design of the espresso machine provides a powerful extraction of espresso with a beautiful Crema
The portable and manual espresso maker by Flair is one of the most popular portable espresso makers amongst espresso lovers who can’t miss their daily espresso shot.
The machine is fully detachable, so don’t worry about how to handle the machine while on a trip. Moreover, you will be provided with a travel case, specially designed for it so you can carry the machine comfortably.
Also, the excellent build quality of stainless steel and cast aluminum will make sure the machine lasts longer than many portable espresso machines in the list. However, you will require a boiler for boiling the water, as it does not include an integrated boiler.
Moreover, a good amount of manual power is required, paired with some patience, to extract the perfect espresso shot.
- Full manual extractionÂ
- Good build qualityÂ
- Small designÂ
- Easy to cleanÂ
- Slow extraction
- No heater includedÂ
If you need a portable manual espresso maker which is capable of brewing the perfect espresso shots similar to a full sized manual espresso maker, then this one is the best option for you. You can use it while at home or literally anywhere you wish to.
However, make sure you have hot water or a boiler with you as it’s a crucial part of brewing espresso. Other than that, it’s a good deal and will last longer.
3. Wacaco Minipresso GR-best travel espresso maker
Why do we love it?
- Unlike other travel espresso makers, the Minipresso has a water capacity of 70 ml which is more than enough
- Moreover, itâ€™s lightweight and convenient to carry during hiking and camping trips
- Also, you won’t require electric power for operating this amazing portable espresso maker.
A simple yet useful invention to make every coffee loverâ€™s dream come true. The Minipresso by WACACO is a superb choice while hiking, camping or even at home.
You won’t miss the taste of your espresso even during outside trips and won’t crave for it anymore. This compact espresso maker uses hot water to brew a single 50 ml espresso shot at once.
Moreover, it works manually so you won’t require any electric supply to operate the machine, simply apply the manual pressure and you can see the espresso dripping.
Also, you won’t feel any weight while carrying it around as it weighs only 0.8 pounds and can fit in any corner of your travelling bag. Lastly, WACACO does not compromise on the espresso quality because of its size or price.
- Espresso tastes goodÂ
- Weighs only 13 ounces
- Fits well anywhereÂ
- Can brew up to 1500 cupsÂ
- Water clogs inside
- Requires too much pressure
Bachelors looking for a mini espresso maker for their home or during trips to the Minipresso would be the perfect choice for you. With the quality of espresso, this portable espresso maker can compete with any chief end one easily.
Besides that, it provides a consistent pressure up to approx 1500 cups, which is an excellent deal as compared to its price. Therefore, you can definitely think of buying one if you are impressed.
4. Wacaco Minipresso NSBudget Pick
Why do we love it?
- One and the only mobile espresso maker which is compatible with Nespresso coffee capsules, simply toss in the capsule and use it as usual.
- Moreover, its extremely lightweight with weight of only 0.78 pounds which you won’t even feel during carrying it around
- Furthermore, the powerful piston makes sure the extracted espresso shot has a balanced flavor and the right aroma
Love the flavors and aroma you get with those Nespresso coffee capsules but will miss it during your trip? Don’t worry, there is a portable espresso maker for everybody.
This Minipresso by WACACO is compatible with OriginalLine Nespresso coffee capsules which have the perfectly tamped grounds with a sealed flavor and aroma beneath. Therefore, you can enjoy your favorite espresso shot anywhere during a trip.
Moreover, using a nespresso capsule is way easier than using espresso grounds as you have to measure them and tamp them precisely.
Also, those grounds lack the flavor and aroma because of unsealed packages. This Minipresso can hold up to 70 ml of water and brew a 50ml espresso shot at once with its powerful piston pump.
- Can use Nespresso capsulesÂ
- Weighs only 0.78 poundsÂ
- Powerful piston pumpÂ
- Does not require batteriesÂ
- Only compatible with Original lineÂ
- Requires external boilerÂ
It’s a brilliant choice for people who have a Nespresso machine at home and require a Nespresso compatible yet handheld espresso maker during camping and trekking. Coffee capsules can be managed easily as compared to grounds.
however, you can only use OriginalLine Nespresso capsules. Besides that, the Minipresso is a durable and lightweight portable espresso machine for home as well as camping which will fulfill all your needs.
5. CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker
Why do we love it?
- It is a self heating and automatic portable espresso maker which requires a charged battery to operate
- You can use any Nespresso OriginalLine coffee capsules according to your preferences
- With a single charge you can make up to 3 espresso shots in one go
Enough of those manual portable espresso machines now let’s move towards automatic handheld espresso makers. The travel espresso maker by CONQUECO is one of the top selling espresso makers amongst hikers and campers.
With no manual pressure, you can brew a premium espresso cup within minutes of heating and with a single touch. Moreover, it features a high-pressure pump of 15 bars which makes sure the espresso has a balanced flavor.
Also, you have to charge the espresso maker before any trip and it’s equipped with a car charger, which will take up to 2.5 hours to charge. What makes it more special is its self-cleaning functions so you don’t have to clean the internal parts of the machine yourself.
- Features self cleaning functionsÂ
- No manual work requiredÂ
- 15 bar pressure pump
- Uses coffee capsulesÂ
- Uses only OriginalLine Nespresso capsulesÂ
- Requires electricityÂ
People who don’t want a manual espresso machine and have a good budget will definitely choose this automatic portable espresso maker with amazing cleaning and espresso making functions.
Moreover, it operates push buttons with lights which gives it a stylish look. You can only use OriginalLine Nespresso capsules because the machine is not compatible with other Nespresso compatible capsules.
However, it’s a splendid choice at a perfect price. Therefore, you can definitely shortlist this one for its automatic espresso brewing skills.
6. Wacaco Nanopresso Portable Espresso Maker
Why do we love it?
- A fully manual espresso machine which requires no electricity or batteries for operating
- You can exert up to 18 bars of pressure with its piston pump for a great espresso extraction
- As marketed, you have to exert a less amount of pressure on the piston compared with older models
When it comes to the best portable espresso makers, WACACO is a name which everyone remembers. Moreover, the numerous models for camping and trekking feature amazing functions.
The Nanopresso is an updated version of Minipresso which requires 15% less pressure for brewing the same quality espresso shot. Also, you won’t require any battery or electricity outlet for using this camping espresso maker.
You have to fully exert manual pressure on the piston pump for extracting the well-balanced espresso with an unmatched aroma. Also, you can make two espresso shots with a good water capacity of 80 ml.
Therefore, it will be a delightful companion during your camping or trekking trips where you can get cravings for espresso.
- 80ml water capacityÂ
- No electricity requiredÂ
- Can handle 18 bar pressure pumpÂ
- Weighs only 0.74 lbsÂ
- Costly as compared to othersÂ
- Hard to cleanÂ
The Nanopresso is an upgraded version of minipresso which requires a less amount of pressure and is extremely lightweight as compared with Minipresso portable espresso maker. Also, the espresso extraction quality is better because you can exert up to 18 bars of pressure on the piston pump.
However, itâ€™s quite hard to clean as the water and grounds clog inside also, you will require a water boiler or at least hot water. Besides that, it will make wonders during your trips.
7. Nespresso Pixie-budget espresso machine for home
Why do we love it?
- Requires only 25 seconds to fully heat the machine there onwards you can start brewing espressos nonstop.
- Also, you can control the size of your espresso cup with its two pre-programmed buttons for espresso and lungo
- Moreover, it has a small footprint and is extremely lightweight which makes it eligible to fit anywhere on your kitchen counter
By portable we don’t always mean handheld or mobile espresso makers, they can be quite bigger yet smaller than average espresso machines. The Pixie, as the name suggests, is one of the smallest Nespresso machines available which can be handled and transported easily with no problem.
Moreover, it’s not one of those manual espresso machines, it’s an automatic one with preset and programmable coffee functions for espresso and lungo.
Moreover, it has a large water container capacity as compared to other portable espresso machines which is 24 oz, perfect for brewing 4-6 espresso shots at once. Also, it requires electricity to operate. It may be a con but the powerful pressure pump of 19 bars provides a barista style espresso on the go.
- Uses convenient coffee capsules
- 19 bar pressure pumpÂ
- Can make 4-6 cups at once
- Programmable preset functionsÂ
- Lever is not well designedÂ
- Requires electricityÂ
When it comes to espresso brewing with coffee capsules, no one can compete with Nespresso. The Pixie is a small yet efficient espresso maker by Nespresso capable of brewing top class espresso shots within minutes thanks to its 19 bar pressure pump.
Moreover, when paired with an aeroccino milk frother, it can brew your favorite cappuccino and latte with no effort. Additionally, the compact and lightweight design makes it possible for you to transport the machine anywhere.
8. Nespresso Inissia-Nespresso portable coffee machine
Why do we love it?
- The lightest nespresso machine Breville as ever made after the Pixie weighs only 6 pounds
- Moreover, you have a wide range of flavors to choose from because Innisia uses OriginalLine coffee capsules
- Also, the preset coffee functions which can be programmed will make your day even easier
The Nespresso Inissia is the best option to go for when you need a portable espresso maker for home. While shifting or travelling, you can easily transport Inissia from one place to another.
Also, with the water reservoir of 24 oz you can brew up to 4-5 espresso shots at once. Inissia is an automatic espresso machine which has a powerful 19 bar pressure pump for a well-balanced extraction.
However, it’s not truly portable as it will require some space and electric supply for operating but it’s great if you are searching for a compact espresso maker. Other than that, Inissia features two programmable preset functions which will help you in choosing your preferred cup size.
- Weighs only 6 poundsÂ
- Uses OriginalLine capsulesÂ
- Energy saving modeÂ
- 25 seconds heat up timeÂ
- electric supply neededÂ
Inissia is a great option if you require a portable and compact espresso maker for home which uses electricity. Moreover, with inissia you don’t have to manually brew your espresso shot because there are already two preset functions for espresso and lungo, respectively.
Also, the machine shuts down after 9 minutes of inactivity which is an excellent feature if you often forget to switch off your appliances after using. Therefore, you should definitely go for it. You don’t have to tamp the grounds or clean the mess after having your favorite drink.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are lever portable espresso machines better?Â
When it comes to espresso extraction, no one can beat lever espresso machines because you can control the full extraction process manually. On the other hand, automatic espresso machines provide espresso shots immediately but can’t match the espresso quality of a manual espresso maker. Check out the best manual espresso machines of 2021.Â
Are handheld espresso machines hard to clean?
No, not at all, actually handheld espresso makers are extremely easy to clean. You simply have to clean them from inside and the porta filter. Many of them are manual so you don’t have to worry while washing the whole machine with water.Â
What is the difference between Nanopresso and Minipresso?
There is not a lot of difference between both of them, the only thing is that the Nanopresso is an upgraded version of Minipresso with some less weight, more water capacity and compactness.Â
Can you use cold water in a portable espresso maker?
No, actually these portable espresso makers don’t have an inbuilt boiler so you will require a separate boiler for boiling water. Also, you can’t use cold water because it won’t help with the coffee extraction.
Portable espresso makers can help a lot when you are planning for a long trip with your family but can’t miss on your daily caffeine shot.
They are small, can be kept anywhere and powerful espresso extraction within minutes. Some of them don’t even require electricity and space. We hope that we have helped you in any way.
You can choose any of these portable espresso makers and we assure you wonâ€™t regret getting one of those. We have featured the top 8 best compact espresso machines, some of them are hand held and some of them are for home.
So get one according to your preferences. Moreover, if you require a Moka pot, do check our article on the top 10 best stovetop espresso makers of 2022.